Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Needing some super-human strength

This morning, I commenced on day three of deep-cleaning the Hoover house. No...I am not disinfecting, dusting, and wiping down every square centimeter of the house. It's just taken me three days to finish. I'm spending most of my time corralling Grant. Earlier, I thought I'd be able to Swiffer the wood floors and fold a load of laundry before he went down for a nap. After about 30 minutes, I finally got a small load of lights folded, but no clean floors...because in those 30 minutes, Grant had:

A. Crawled into, and fallen out of, a laundry basket and hit his head
B. Pulled on our bedroom curtains
C. Got his finger stuck in the door jam (not a severe injury, just some crying)
D. Ate dog food
E. Ate grass and dust bunnies
F. Chewed on a phone charger (thank goodness it wasn't plugged in)
G. Opened the night stand and pulled out numerous books and
H. Played in Scout's water bowl

That, my friends, is why it has taken me three days to clean our house. 

The tiredness that I am currently experiencing prompted me to open up my favorite Book to Isaiah 40 this morning. In this chapter, Israel is complaining. Basically, they're tired and they think God is too big to care about their needs and wants.

"Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, 'My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God?'
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:27-31

And when it says "renew their strength," the actual meaning is to "exchange their strength" for God's strength. That's a pretty good trade, if you ask me. He's got quite a bit more strength than I do. Plus, it's probably a little more powerful than mine, too. (Note the sarcasm.)

So...Jesus, I need to exchange my strength for yours today. Not just so I can finish cleaning the house. So I can keep on running the race you've set before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment