Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Little Naive? Probably. A little light-headed? Definitely.

Oh, how I should be sleeping. I work tonight and tomorrow night, Grant's asleep, the house is quiet, and I CAN'T SLEEP. Seriously, my body does not like working nights...even if it is just part time. Hopefully, I won't have to do it too much longer...maybe a post on that later...

I cut my finger a couple of days ago. Nothing traumatic. Just pulling on my pants and my thumbnail cut my third finger on my left hand. However, it really did hurt. It's almost done healing, but this afternoon, I was looking at it and it reminded me of a funny story in regards to my third finger on my right hand from a few years ago.

I was getting ready to go into Hobby Lobby to run a quick errand on beautiful spring day. But springtime in Texas = wind...so it was a beautiful, windy day. As I was shutting the car door, I remembered I forgot my purse in the front seat. I turn around, grabbed the edge of the door and WHAM...slammed my finger. Seriously, I was almost positive I was going to pull my hand out of the door and discover I was missing half of a finger. Luckily, I still had all of my appendages. But, my third finger on my right hand was MAJORLY cut open. I saw fat tissue. Pretty sure if I dug, I could have seen the bone. Right at the joint closest to my fingertip.

Now, I can do blood. I can do vomit. I can do poop. I do it much better when the blood is coming from someone other than myself though.

So, I'm a little light-headed but manage to get into the car, find a napkin, wrap my finger, and start driving myself to the Employee Wellness Clinic at United Regional to get some stitches. (Even though they just put some super glue in there. I could have just run into to Hobby Lobby and bought the super glue myself. Would have saved some money).

As I'm driving, my common sense in correlation with my nursing sense tells me to hold the hand above my heart to decrease the bleeding. Check. I've got my right hand in the air up above the steering wheel. I'm driving with my elbows trying to put pressure on my finger with my left hand. That's not working too well. Forget that. I start driving with my left hand. Right hand still in the air. Napkin falls off. Middle right finger exposed. And it's extended. And I don't even notice.

I continue to drive myself...light-headed...to the hospital. I pull up, get signed in, and wait.

As the light-headedness is wearing off, I start cracking up. While I'm sitting all by myself. I realize that I just drove across town, like a complete maniac, giving everybody the bird. Honestly, I had no idea. It never even crossed my mind that my bloody middle finger was completely offensive. A little naive? Probably. A little light-headed? Definitely.

So, in case any of you ever smash your middle finger in the car door and then start driving yourself to the hospital, try not to hold it above your heart, extended and exposed. It looks bad.

And to anyone who saw me driving in Wichita Falls that day, please excuse my middle finger. My intentions were pure. I just needed stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment