Friday, April 8, 2011

Beautiful Chaos

Grant is asleep. Laundry's in the washer. I've still yet to get in the shower but I'm sure that will get taken care of eventually. It's a stark contrast to what our lives looked like approximately an hour and a half ago.

My child, his high chair and the floor were covered in chopped up cantaloupe and wheat germ and I smelled poop coming from his direction. Of course, the smell could always be from Scout, our black lab who loves to roll around in the dirt and on top of any dead animal she can find. But this morning, the smell was lingering from Grant's behind. After cleaning the food off his chubby little hands, we headed into his room for a changing. I proceed to trip over the mound of toys in the middle of his room that have accumulating since yesterday afternoon when I last picked up. (He has learned the art of play in the last week and thus pulls out any toy and/or book he can get his hands on to chew on for about five seconds and move on to the next item.) I didn't fall or drop my child but I did stub my toe and probably mumbled a word I would rather him not repeat.

Off to the changing table we went. I have also recently discovered that Grant has a talent in headstands and acrobatics while I change his diaper. I used to be able to lay him on his changing pad, clean him up, and get a little face time when diaper duty time arrived. Now...not so much. In the 2.5 seconds after his diaper comes off and I start wiping, he manages to twist around onto his head while I'm holding his feet up. The first few times he did this, I got frustrated, firmly told him "NO" and gave him a little pat on his naked bum. However, this didn't seem to phase him. I have conceded to now change his diaper while he is in head-stand position. It makes getting in all of the nooks and crannies a bit more difficult and messier (hence the load of laundry in the washer) but hey...whatever works, right?

And this morning with my child in mid head-stand, my phone rings. Ben is calling to tell me how excited he is to be the honorary football coach at Midwestern State University's spring game this weekend and how he needs to buy a shirt or two to help him display some school pride. Seriously, a great phone call to pick up. I'm really excited for him. However, I did get poop on my phone.

Sometimes, a morning like this is a little annoying and makes me want to shower. (Still getting to that.) But this morning, I just laughed. Grant won't always be small enough to put up on a changing table and get face time with. Even if our face time was with him standing on his head. And Ben called to tell me how excited he was about this weekend. I'm blessed to have a husband that is my best friend, not just my roommate. And what's getting a child through the diaper years without a little poop on your phone? I wouldn't know...that life would be a little boring, I'd imagine.

"As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone.." - Psalm 103:15-16a


Today, I'm loving the chaos. Though hopefully, my days on earth will last a little longer than some of the grass in my backyard does. Can't wait to see Jesus face to face but I sure am glad I have now.

Because my days are number here, I'm going to try my best to love the chaos.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! "I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob." (random quote from "What about Bob?). But seriously....so true! I totally agree that we only have a few years with these pooping darlings so let's enjoy it!! Love your transparency and humor. Yay for Meg!!

    ReplyDelete