Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Occasion

No, I didn't wake up at 4 a.m. to watch the royal wedding. But I would have if I didn't have to work all night tonight. So, as I was having a bowl of Cheerios with my distinguished guest, Sir Grant Edwin of Wichita, as we watched the blissful nuptials on our DVR.

I think I'm cut out to live the life of a princess or dutchess. In kindergarten, I refuse to wear anything but a dress. I know which fork to use for what course of a meal. I can speak proper English (unlike most Americans). And I intensely studied films such as the Sound of Music and The King and I...where royalty was involved. However, my Prince Ben isn't referred to as "His Royal Highness"...however, I'm sure he would probably prefer that title.

Watching the wedding, I LOVED everything about it. The dignity, the poise, the dress, the respectfulness, the honor, the class. Now, I'm not "hatin' on" our culture...but maybe I am just a little. Compare the wedding we all watched this morning to what the youth of America hold in such high regard. What comes to mind? Images of Lady Gaga in a meat dress making some sort of weird statement. Rihanna dancing on the Grammy's so inappropriately that I turned to another channel because I was so embarrassed. Girls walking around in pants so low you see 3 inches of their crack hanging out. Young women in wedding dresses so low cut that all anyone can focus on is their...ahem...overflowing bosom. Lyrics that are played on every pop radio station. Bruno Mars's "The Lazy Song" lyrics totally repulse me.


"Today I don't feel like doing anything. I just wanna lay in my bed. Don't feel like pickin' up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'cause I swear I'm not doing anything, nothing at all, nothing at all. Tomorrow I'll wake up, do some P90X. Find a really nice girl, have some really nice sex. And she's gonna scream out 'this is great.' (Oh my God, this is great.)"

What a stark contrast to the image of William and Kate - a young man and woman who are responsible, can shake people's hands and look them in the eyes, don't give a disgustingly long, totally inappropriate make-out-mack-down-let's-go-get-a-room kiss, and don't act like total jerks "because they can."

So, not only did I love watching a fairytale wedding because a commoner named Catherine Middleton is now referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge...I loved it because it was full of class, grace, poise, honor, and dignity. Something I think a lot of our culture...and generation, for that matter...forgets is out there. You don't have do be actual royalty, have seven names, and wear a feathered hat to treat yourself with a little respect and dignity.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, that needed to be said. Bruno Mars = why the terrorists hate us. Haha. Wasn't the wedding just lovely!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete