Tuesday, May 24, 2011

You've come a long way, baby...

One year ago today, I was one month shy of giving birth. Thus, today marks Grant's 11 month birthday. (You didn't know you were going to have to do a little math this morning, did you?) As I was in the shower washing my hair with my favorite shampoo (Organix Teetree Mint, for those of you who are curious), I looked back on the last 11 months. The phrase that kept coming to mind was...

"You've come a long way, baby."

Last May 24th, I was over eight months pregnant. Ankles reminiscent of an 80-year-old woman in heart failure. I was three weeks shy of taking the NCLEX-RN exam which I had to pass in order to become a licensed RN in the state of Texas. I still had eight hours of defensive driving to complete before I became a mom and I didn't have time for it. Just to name a few things on my "to-do" list a year ago.

Since then, I have:

A. Given birth to the most beautiful, precious child God created for me to care for
B. Taken and passed state boards
C. Pulled numerous "all-nighters" because I work nights (even during the college years...I NEVER stayed up all night)
D. Breastfed a child through thrush and eight teeth for the entire 11 months (and counting down to a year)
E. Made it through our most difficult year of marriage (that statement should start with WE have)...to those of you who think the first year of marriage is the hardest like I did...wait until you have kids...
F. Learned a new level of love and respect for my husband
G. Attempted to learn to shut my mouth more often when what I want to say doesn't need to be said
H. Gone from being a natural blonde to a natural brunette (it's the hormones, I tell ya)
I. Been reminded that my girlfriends are life-savers and really are the sisters I never had
J. Watched Ben try his first murder trial
K. Gain a truer understanding of the meaning behind Mother's Day and deeper appreciation of my mom
L. Grasped a deeper knowledge of the unconditional love the Father has for me
M. Completed my defensive driving
N. And after this past weekend...primed, painted, and trimmed out an entire brick house (with the help of our INCREDIBLE family).

I'm stopping with N because I hear a kid crying who just woke up from a nap. Ooh...I think we went back to sleep.

It's been a tough, challenging, and rewarding 11 months. Would I want to re-live it? Nope. Do I cherish every moment of it? Yep. If I close my eyes and just relax, I can picture me and Jesus walking down the sidewalk, pushing Grant's stroller. He's got his arm around my shoulders and He leans over, chuckles, and says...

"You've come a long way, baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment